AUTOMATIC GEAR MILLING MACHINE USING PROXIMITY SENSOR
The word ‘pneuma’ comes from Greek and means breather wind. The word pneumatics is the study of air movement and its phenomena is derived from the word pneuma. Today pneumatics is mainly understood to means the application of air as a working medium in industry especially the driving and controlling of machines and equipment.
Pneumatics has for some considerable time between used for carrying out the simplest mechanical tasks in more recent times has played a more important role in the development of pneumatic technology for automation.
Since pneumatic circuit plays a vital role in this device, it is very necessary to explain the working of this circuit. Initially starting with air compresses, its function is to compress air from a low inlet pressure (usually atmospheric) to a higher pressure level. This is an accomplished by reducing the volume of the air.
PRINCIPLES OF WORKING
- The compressed air from the compressor reaches the solenoid valve. The solenoid valve changes the direction of flow according to the signals from the timing device.
- The compressed air pass through the solenoid valve and it is admitted into the front end of the cylinder block. The air pushes the piston for the spring end milling stroke. At the end of the spring end milling stroke air from the solenoid valve reaches the rear end of the cylinder block.
- The pressure remains the same but the area is less due to the presence of piston rod. This exerts greater pressure on the piston, pushing it at a faster rate thus enabling faster return stroke.
- The stroke length of the piston can be changed by making suitable adjustment in the timer.
- There is no need of giving feed during every cut due to the presence of weight.
- The milling/milling speed can be varied according to our needs by adjusting the timer.
- It is portable
- It does not have any Prime mover, like electric motor related to the unit.
- As the air is freely available, we can utilize the air to cut the metal and hence it is economical.
- Simple in construction than mechanical hacksaw and grinder
- It is a compact one
- Less Maintenance
- Only smaller size and soft metal can be cut
- It is costlier than the mechanical hacksaw because of compressor unit.
- Less efficiency when compressed to mechanical device.
4. Stone, Ceramic and glass industries
More Resources /articles
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...