Tapping Operation | Formula , Types , Tapping Process
Tapping Operation :
Tapping is the operation of cutting internal threads in a hole using a cutting tool called Tap. A tap has cutting edges in the shape of threads. When the tap is screwed into a hole it removes metal and cuts internal threads for tapping the hole
drilled will be smaller than the tap size.
Tap drill size = 0.8 * Outer diameter of the threads
For Example For M8 Size tap ,Drill Size should be = 0.8*8 = 6.8 mm Diameter
To understand the application and importance of the involvement of semi automation in conventional drilling machine in manufacturing.
Types Of Tapping Process
Tapping may be done by:
– lathe machine
– milling machine
– tapping machine
HAND TAPPING PROCEDURE
1 Select drill size from chart.
When choosing a tap size, this chart is the first place to look.
Tapping Drill Size Calculation
2. If necessary, add chamfer to the hole before tapping. Chamfers and countersinks are additional features that are sometimes desired for screws. For best results, the speed of the spindle should be between 150 and 250 rpm.
3. Get a tap guide. The hole is now ready to tap. To do this, use the taps and guide blocks near the manual mills. The guide blocks will have several holes for different sized taps. Select the one closest to the size of the tap being used and place it over the drilled hole.
4. Tap the block. Peck tap using the tap wrenches. Apply gentle pressure while turning the wrench a complete turn in, then a half-turn out. Peck tap to the desired depth.
5. Complete the tap. If the tap does not go any further or the desired depth has been reached, release pressure on the tap; it has likely bottomed out. Remove the tap from the hole.
TAPPING PROCEDURE FOR LATHE
1. Mount the workpiece in the chuck.
2. Face and center drill.
3. Select the proper tap drill for the tap to be used.
4. Example: ¼ – 20 unc used # 7 drill.
5. Set the lathe to the proper speed and drill with the tap to the required depth. Use plenty cutting fluid.
6. Note: the workpiece will rotate when tapping using the lathe power. Use a very slow spindle speed. (40 to 60 rpm) and plenty of cutting fluid.
7. Chamfer the edge of the hole.
Read more : Basic and related Drilling machine Operations
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...