Module of Gear
Module is a ratio of Pitch circle diameter to the total number of teeth on a gear or pinion. The Module has standard values like 4,5,7 likewise, it is not given infraction at all. Unit of module is Millimeter.
Practical meaning of Module:
1) Module gives total idea about the Gear size either small or too large.
2) Gears are basically designated by using module and number of teeth, the meaning of this is that If Someone wants to buy a gear, he needs to ask gear by module and number of teeth.
3) As already mentioned Pitch Circle is an imaginary circle .we can’t measure practically to Pitch circle diameter. It can be found with the help of modules and teeth. Obviously from formula one can easily find the pitch circle diameter.
4) while designing gear first module is decided according to speed ratio and number of teeth. Further this module is used to calculate the remaining gear parameter like an addendum , dedendum, etc.
What is Diametrical Pitch?
- Diametrical pitch is reciprocal of module i.e. Ratio of number of teeth to Pitch Circle Diameter.
- Diametrical pitch, then, is a function of the diameter of the gear’s pitch circle. It is equal to the number of teeth of the gear per inch or per centimeter of its diameter, depending on which measuring system is used. For example, if a gear has 32 teeth and a diameter of 8 inches (20 cm), the diametral pitch is four teeth per inch or 1.6 teeth per centimeter. When a consumer purchases or orders a gear, a manager would tell his gear salesperson or mechanical engineer the diametral pitch of the gear needed in order to make sure that the proper type of gear is ordered. When a gear system is first designed, diametral pitch is important because it helps determine what size and type of gear is needed to interlock with any other gear.
- A gear is designed to transfer power from one section of a machine to another section of the machine. Two gears that will interlock successfully need to have the same measurements or they will not work properly together and the power will not be transferred. For example, the ratio of the number of teeth on one gear to the second gear needs to be the same as the ratio between the first gear’s diametral pitch to that of the second gear’s.
- This measurement helps determine how fast a gear can move in a machine as well. The velocity ratio of a gear is defined as the ratio of the first gear’s rotation speed to the ratio of the second gear’s rotation speed. This same ratio also needs to apply to the diametral pitches of the two gears for the system to function properly.
Introduction to Seals : Oil under pressure is moving in every hydraulic circuit. Since oil is a liquid it has the tendency to 'leak' through every gas/slot it finds during movement. This leakage of...
Introduction to Slotting Machine : The slotter or slotting machine is also a reciprocating type of machine tool similar to a shaper. It may be considered as a vertical shaper. The machine operates...