Procedure Of Spur Gear Cutting on Milling machine – How to Manufacture Spur Gear
Spur gear Cutting on Milling Machine :
To machine gear to the given module and number of teeth in the given work piece.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT’S REQUIRED:
1. Milling machine
2. Vernier caliper
1. Calculate the gear tooth proportions.
Blank diameter = (Z + 2) m
Tooth depth = 2.25 m
Tooth width = 1.5708 m
Z = Number of teeth required
m = module
Index crank movement = 40 / Z
2. The dividing head and the tail stock are bolted on the machine table. Their axis must be set parallel to the machine table.
3. The gear blank is held between the dividing head and tail stock using a mandrel. The mandrel is connected with the spindle of dividing head by a carrier and catch plate.
4. The cutter is mounted on the arbor. The cutter is centered accurately with the gear blank.
5. Set the speed and feed for machining.
6. For giving depth of cut, the table is raised till the periphery of the gear blank just touches the cutter.
7. The micrometer dial of vertical feed screw is set to zero in this position.
8. Then the table is raised further to give the required depth of cut.
9. The machine is started and feed is given to the table to cut the first groove of the blank.
10. After the cut, the table is brought back to the starting position.
11. Then the gear blank is indexed for the next tooth space.
12. This is continued till all the gear teeth are cut.
Z = No.of teeth = 23
m = module = 2 mm
Blank Diameter = (Z + 2) *m
= (23 + 2) *2
= 50 mm
Tooth Depth = 2.25 m
= 2.25 *2
= 4.5 mm
= 40 / Z
= 40 / 23
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...