Basic Of Gears -Gear Terminology/ Gear nomenclature
- Addendum:The radial distance between the Pitch Circle and the top of the teeth.
- Arc of Action: Is the arc of the Pitch Circle between the beginning and the end of the
engagement of a given pair of teeth.
- Arc of Approach: Is the arc of the Pitch Circle between the first point of contact of the gear
teeth and the Pitch Point.
- Arc of Recession: That arc of the Pitch Circle between the Pitch Point and the last point of
contact of the gear teeth.
- Backlash: Play between mating teeth.
- Base Circle: The circle from which is generated the involute curve upon which the tooth profile is based.
- Center Distance: The distance between centers of two gears.
- Chordal Addendum: The distance between a chord, passing through the points where the Pitch Circle crosses the tooth profile, and the tooth top.
- Chordal Thickness: The thickness of the tooth measured along a chord passing through the points where the Pitch Circle crosses the tooth profile.
- Circular Pitch: Millimeter of Pitch Circle circumference per tooth.
- Circular Thickness: The thickness of the tooth measured along an arc following the Pitch Circle.
- Clearance: The distance between the top of a tooth and the bottom of the space into which it fits on the meshing gear.
- Contact Ratio: The ratio of the length of the Arc of Action to the Circular Pitch.
- Dedendum: The radial distance between the bottom of the tooth to pitch circle.
- Diametral Pitch: Teeth per mm of diameter.
- Face: The working surface of a gear tooth, located between the pitch diameter and the top of the tooth.
- Face Width: The width of the tooth measured parallel to the gear axis.
- Flank: The working surface of a gear tooth, located between the pitch diameter and the bottom of the teeth
- Wheel:Larger of the two meshing gears is called wheel.
- Pinion: The smaller of the two meshing gears is called pinion.
- Land: The top surface of the tooth.
- Line of Action: That line along which the point of contact between gear teeth travels, between the first point of contact and the last.
- Module: Ratio of Pitch Diameter to the number of teeth.
- Pitch Circle: The circle, the radius of which is equal to the distance from the center of the gear to the pitch point.
- Diametral pitch: Ratio of the number of teeth to the of pitch circle diameter.
- Pitch Point: The point of tangency of the pitch circles of two meshing gears, where the Line of Centers crosses the pitch circles.
- Pressure Angle: Angle between the Line of Action and a line perpendicular to the Line of Centers.
- Profile Shift: An increase in the Outer Diameter and Root Diameter of a gear, introduced to lower the practical tooth number or acheive a non-standard Center Distance.
- Ratio: Ratio of the numbers of teeth on mating gears.
- Root Circle: The circle that passes through the bottom of the tooth spaces.
- Root Diameter: The diameter of the Root Circle.
- Working Depth: The depth to which a tooth extends into the space between teeth on the mating gear.
More Resources /articles
Introduction to Seals : Oil under pressure is moving in every hydraulic circuit. Since oil is a liquid it has the tendency to 'leak' through every gas/slot it finds during movement. This leakage of...
Introduction to Slotting Machine : The slotter or slotting machine is also a reciprocating type of machine tool similar to a shaper. It may be considered as a vertical shaper. The machine operates...