What is Fabrication Technology | Classification of Fabrication Processes
DEFINITION OF FABRICATION TECHNOLOGY
It is defined as a different field of engineering involves joining together quite no. of smaller component in structural construction machine, building etc. this component can be joined by temporary fastening like bolts, screws, but joining them permanently involves the use of forging, riveting and welding techniques.
IMPORTANCE OF FABRICATION TECHNOLOGY:
Mainly all critical structures are produce by fabrication technology like, boiler, pressure vessel, ships, offshore, structure, bridges, storage tanks, rocket parts, sphere etc are produce speedily, easily and economically.
1. Ship building
2. Thermal and nuclear power plant
3. Oil pipe line construction
4. Process plant
5. Automobile industry
6. Aerospace industry
7. Bridges construction
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FABRICATION WORK AND MANUFACTURING PROCESS :-
Fabrication work Manufacturing process Its process of joining two parts of metal and
It is process for making desire shape and size of
products without removal of metal
Aim of fab. Is to prepare and accurate quantity
Aim is the process to produce quality shape and size
of the parts
Wastage of metal is avoided by this work Wastage is more compare to the fab. Large size product can be produce Small parts can be produce This includes processes like welding, brazing,
This includes processes like casting, forming,
CLASSIFICATION OF FABRICATION PROCESS:
DIFFERENT FABRICATION PROCESS:
Process by which two similar or dissimilar metals can be joined by heating them to a suitable temperature with or without application of pressure and with or without filler metal.
It is desired that weld shall be as nearly as possible identical in composition and properties with the parent metal to attain highest corrosion resistance….. .it is of two type
1. Fusion or non pressure welding.
2. Pressure welding or plastic welding.
MERITS AND DEMERITS OF WELDING
- cost of equipment is less and cheap process.
- permanent joint is achieved.
- Almost all similar and dissimilar metals can be joined.
- Welding provides flexibility in joint design.
- Speedy production with less cost.
- Desired length can be achieved and larger parts can be produced.
- Sometimes preheating and edge preparation required..
- Residual stresses are developed.
- Skill welder is required, safety required.
Read more : What are the major welding application
Soldering is a process in which two or more metal items are joined together by melting and flowing a filler metal (solder) into the joint, the filler metal having a lower melting point than the workpiece. Soldering differs from welding in that soldering does not involve melting the work pieces. Soldering completes in following stages.
Soldering is used for,
- Sealing, as in automotive radiators or tin cans.
- Electrical Connections.
- Joining thermally sensitive components.
- Joining dissimilar metals.
Read more : Differences between Welding, Soldering and Brazing
Brazing is a metal-joining process whereby a filler metal is heated above melting point and distributed between two or more close-fitting parts by capillary action. The filler metal is brought slightly above its melting (liquidus) temperature while protected by a suitable atmosphere, usually a flux. It then flows over the base metal (known as wetting) and is then cooled to join the workpieces together.
Depending upon the method of heating, brazing can be classified as
1. Torch brazing
2. Dip brazing
3. Furnace brazing
4. Induction brazing
- Dissimilar metals which can not be welded can be joined by brazing.
- Very thin metals can be joined.
- Metals with different thickness can be joined easily.
- In brazing thermal stresses are not produced in the work piece. Hence there is no distortion.
- Using this process, carbides tips are brazed on the steel tool holders.
- Brazed joints have lesser strength compared to welding.
- Joint preparation cost is more.
- Can be used for thin sheet metal sections.
Read more : Joining Process-Welding | Interview Question and Answers
More Resources /articles
Manufacturing Technology Notes , Articles
Machine Tool Articles , notes , Interview Que & Ans
Welding projects List - Abstract , Report
Product Ideas , Innovative Machine Ideas Projects
New Mechanical Projects 2020 ( All Projects Post Index List )
Mechanical engineering is one of the most physically demanding professions that involve designing, manufacturing, and maintaining mechanical systems. A mechanical engineer's work involves utilizing...
Management is an essential component of every project and team. A competent manager is indispensable in guiding the team, owning outcomes, and mediating conflicts. Engineering managers, in...