Multipurpose Indexing Device -Lathe ,Milling, Drilling Attachment Mechanical Project
2. Hobbled straight face worm gear
3. Bearing mounter plate:
Detailed working of project as follows:
- We know that, this multipurpose indexing device works on ‘worm and worm gear principle.
- For supporting the worm and worm gear we used two rectangular mild steel plates which one is placed at bottom i.e. base (bottom side) plate and another placed on top of worm gear.
- Stud or worm gear shaft is welded with worm gear inner diameter, and this shaft further transferred from both the plates with the help of two ball bearing which is fitted on plates, both plates having bore diameter equal to the ball bearing outer diameter and one thrust ball bearing (for supporting the axial load)
- This stud has some threads at top portion for engaging the hex bolt. the diameter of stud is equal to the inner diameter of ball bearing.
- Worm shaft is also welded with ‘worm’, and this shaft also passed from two bearing plates, bearing mount with the help of bearing mounter plate. Hand wheel is provided at the one end of worm gear shaft.
- Bearing mounter plates helps to mount the bearing as well as it helps for rigidly supporting the two plates (i.e. top plate and bottom plate).with the help of screwing.
- Two holes drilled on both the plates for passing bolt and bush for more firmly join.
- Circular disk is fixed (either by welding or pressing) above the shaft (stud) from 4-5 mm above the top plate.
- Above this disk tool post is mounted with the help of nut, bush, and washer. Disk reduces friction between the tool post which rotating and the top pate which fixed.
- Circular scale is provided above the top plate, which helps to indexing the tool post or notifying the position of tool post.
- Clamping is provided to fix the circular disk with the top plate.
- When hand wheel rotates then worm shaft rotates with the worm. Due to rotation of worm, worm gear also rotated which is in engaged position with worm. Due to this stud rotates with the tool post. By observing the scale, we can easily bring the tool post at desired angle with the help of this device.
- When desired angle is achieved then by clamping the circular disk with top plate, tool post comes again in steady position.
- Tool can be rotated at any desirable angle.
- We can easily perform operation without removing tool holder, face, chamfer, thread & groove.
- Accuracy is high-Accuracy of device can be increased by dividing the circular movement of worm shaft. It is possible to achieve the minimum 15″ accuracy, if scale is designed for worm shaft and put scale on bearing plate.
- Simple in construction -Since the plates are assembled with nut and bolts, so the manufacturing of this device is quite simple.
- Less time require.
- We make any complex job which having multiple arc & circles very easily.
- Used for drilling machine for drilling multiple holes on same plate.
- We easily calculate the degree of angle rotation without any calculation.
- By using some other accessories like chuck, indexing plate and other devices we can elaborate the area of application.
- It is easy to assemble and disassemble.
- Reduces non productive time.
- This device work against various forces like cutting forces, so chances of vibration is more. This may be damage gears or function of device.
- Backlash in gear may cause reduce the accuracy.
- Due to Weight of fixture is more, handling problem arise.
- Milling curved slots.
- Drilling a bolt holes circle around the circumference of a parts
- Chamfering the job of any angle by using straight tool.
- Indexing the job as well as tool.
- Drilling complex shape parts.
- For cutting the arcs
More Resources /articles
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...