Design and Fabrication of Mini Jet Engine-Mechanical Project
INTRODUCTION TO MINI JET ENGINES
Before describing the construction of the mini jet engine, some basic Principles should be understood. A mini jet engine can be broken down into five major sub assemblies, the inlet duct, compressor, combustion chamber, turbine wheel, and exhaust outlet. When the engine is running, air is drawn into the compressor where it is compressed and the pressure is increased. It is then ducted to the combustion chamber where fuel is added and burned. The heat in the combustion chamber causes the air to expand before it exits through a nozzle and drives the power turbine. The turbine drives the compressor by means of a drive shaft. The remaining hot gasses are expelled out the exhaust nozzle. Forcing the large amount of air taken into the engine and expelling it out the exhaust duct at a much higher velocity creates thrust. This is the principle of operation of the mini jet engine. It is a reaction engine.
WORKING OF MINI JET ENGINES :
We are using LPG as fuel because it is very easy to install and there is no need for any injection systems or fuel pumps. LPG is stored in a 2 Kg capacity cylinder. The cylinder is connected to two valves one stop valve and other control valve that regulate the flow of gas. The valve is followed by a high pressure flexible tubes used in gas welding. The other end is connected to the fuel nozzle made from mild steel, which is welded to the combustion chamber.
Advantages of Mini Jet Engines :
• Power to the weight ratio of a turbojet is about four times that of a propeller system having reciprocating engine.
• It is simple, easy to maintain and requires lower lubricating oil consumptions. Further more liquid cooling results in reduced frontal area.
• There is no limit to power output which can be obtained from a turbojet while the piston engines have reached almost their peak power and further increased will be at the cost of complexity and greater engine weight and frontal area of aircraft.
• The speed of turbo jet is not limited by the propeller and it can attain higher flight speeds than engine propeller aircrafts.
• Simplicity of design, efficient at supersonic speed ~ Mach 2.
Advantages of LPG as fuel
LPG is clean, high octane, abundant and eco-friendly fuel. Higher energy content, lower CO-2 emission. It can be easily condensed packaged, stored and utilized.
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...