Design and Fabrication Of Gear Box Full Report Download
A gearbox, also known as a gear case or gear head, is a gear or a hydraulic system responsible for transmitting mechanical power from a prime mover (an engine or electric motor) into some form of useful output.
A gearbox is a set of gears for transmitting power from one rotating shaft to another. They are used in a wide range of industrial, automotive and home machinery application.
Gear heads are available in different sizes, capacities and speed ratios. Their main function is to convert the input provided by an electric motor into an output of lower RPM and higher torque.
Functions of a Gearbox
• A gearbox is precisely bored to control gear and shaft alignment.
• It is used as a housing/container for gear oil.
• It is a metal casing for protecting gears and lubricant from water, dust and other contaminants.
There are a number of performance specifications which must be considered while choosing a gearbox for different industrial applications. Some of the important specifications are :
• Gear ratio : The ratio may be specified as x : 1, where x is an integer.
• Output torque
• Maximum input power
• Maximum input speed
• Gearing arrangement
• Reducer output
• Shaft Alignment
Types of Drives and gearboxes
CLASSIFICATION OF MANUFACTURING PROCESSES OF GEARS
- Disc type cutter
- End mill cutter
- Rack – type cutter generating process
- Pinion type cutter generating process
- Axial hobbing
- Radial hobbing
- Tangential hobbing
- Straight Bevel – gear generator
- Spiral bevel –gear Generator
More Resources /articles
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...