Stud Arc Welding | Fastener Welding- Advantages and Application
Stud welding is a complete one-step fastening system, using fasteners called weld studs. Weld studs come in a variety of designs, threaded, unthreaded, tapped, etc., sizes and shapes for a wide range of applications.Stud welding, also known as “drawn arc stud welding”, joins a stud and another piece of metal together by heating both parts with an arc. The stud is usually joined to a flat plate by using the stud as one of the electrodes. The polarity used in stud welding depends on the type of metal being used. Welding aluminum, for example, would usually require direct-current electrode positive (DCEP). Welding steel would require direct-current electrode negative (DCEN).
Stud Welding Equipment
- A direct current Power Supply
- A Controller
- A Weld Gun
- Cables to tie the system components and base metal together
The Stud Welding Process
The arc stud welding method provides highly reliable fastening for a wide variety of applications. This method allows almost any size or configuration of a metal stud to be welded quickly to a workpiece, while providing maximum weld penetration and reliability.
- Drawn arc stud welding
- Short arc stud welding
- Gas arc stud welding
The Benefits of Stud Welding
- It is fast. Welding a 3/4” fastener will take less than one second.
- It is single sided. This means that access to the other side of the work piece is not required.
- It is secure. Unlike the peripheral weld that would be used to weld a bolt in place, a stud weld is a full cross sectional weld. This means the full face of the fastener is welded in place providing a strong, worry-free weld.
- It is cosmetically superior. As a single sided fastener there are no indicators that a fastener is attached.
- It is welded and will not work free like a press-in fastener
- Requires no special skills and little training to install.
Introduction to Seals : Oil under pressure is moving in every hydraulic circuit. Since oil is a liquid it has the tendency to 'leak' through every gas/slot it finds during movement. This leakage of...
Introduction to Slotting Machine : The slotter or slotting machine is also a reciprocating type of machine tool similar to a shaper. It may be considered as a vertical shaper. The machine operates...