30 Essential Lessons/Rules for the New To the Corporate World
lessons you have learned in the corporate world?
- Never be the smartest person in the room
- Don’t hire employees or friends. Hire people who believe in the vision and want to partner because it makes them feel alive to be apart of something bigger than them or us.
- Make your weakness your strength.
- Show some originality-Don’t just be about work and home. Get some hobbies if you don’t have them. Talk about your interests, Create a well rounded brand. People should know you as capable and qualified in your position, but also interesting and enjoyable to talk to.
- Nobody’s perfect, even corporations-Big corporations are run by people and people are not perfect. Those at the top are dealing with many heavy burdens. When it does not violate your personal values or morals, do everything you can to support their latest initiatives. Be a team player. If you don’t understand, ask for help and give people the benefit of the doubt.
- Be nice to people on the way up Or it is real shitty on the way down
- Train another to do your job In the months you look to move forward
- You need to care about your own career, management doesn’t give a shit about your growth.
- Listen carefully, then communicate confidently and persuasively.
- Being a senior, always help others. Train your subordinates well. Feed them with your maximum knowledge, encourage them, cheer them and eventually when they make breakthroughs, celebrate with them. The best thing you can give to a person is your knowledge.
- Leaving your comfort zone is essential, but do not settle in there. One day your challenging zone will become comfort again. Seek for another one. Believe me it makes your career more interesting.
- Unless you ask, you ain’t getting anything.
- Learn to say NO: Do not be a people-pleaser by saying yes to everything.
- Be careful of your tone of voice when communicating things. People pay more attention to your tone of voice than your content.
- Do not hide your ideas. Your idea could turn into even an bigger and better idea with more vetting and discussion.
- Do not make assumptions.
- You’ll find a guy in every office who keeps bitching about everyone. Find that guy. And stay a mile AWAY from that guy.
- You are a technical guy or a non-technical, you must have a good knowledge of your domain. Else you’ll be just an another guy.
- Don’t tell you know everything.Don’t tell everything you know.
- Stay hungry. Keep learning. The only thing that stays.
- You spent most of your time of a day/month/year in the office so find some good friends and a comfortable chair.
- Stay calm. Don’t be bitter to your colleagues in office otherwise, you’ll hate going to that place every day.
- Ass lickers are most successful : No matter how (Einstein)ish you are in your job, you have to know the art of ‘buttering’. 80% survive by ‘licking’ and 20% by working really hard. These 20% feed other 80% also!
- Never ever speak about your salary : It is the greatest mistake to discuss salary in office. You may not get a raise but may get many ‘eyes raised’ on you!
- Initiate- Initiate as much as possible. Throw ideas and take charge to implement them. When your boss asks your team on who wants to take the initiative, raise your hand. People like enthusiasts.
- At the end of the day everybody is replaceable. Never get into the mindset that you are indispensable.
- Keep yourself updated. Read, attend webinars etc
- Never ever display your emotions. People are different and so are perceptions. A single emotional statement can be interpreted in thousands of ways and by doing so you would generously donate content for some ‘cafeteria gossip’.
- Keep challenging yourself. Notice signs of boredom and immediately do something about it (say additional responsibilities, change of assignment etc.) otherwise you will soon start seeking comfort in that mundane work itself.
- “Don’t Settle. Keep looking”.
Best Luck From Our team For your Corporate Life Journey , Stay Strong and Be Happy !!!
Mechanical engineering is one of the most physically demanding professions that involve designing, manufacturing, and maintaining mechanical systems. A mechanical engineer's work involves utilizing...
Management is an essential component of every project and team. A competent manager is indispensable in guiding the team, owning outcomes, and mediating conflicts. Engineering managers, in...