Forging and Foundry Process | Interview Question and Answers Part 3
Forging and Foundry Process | Interview , Viva ,Oral Question and Answers
Forging and Foundry process : Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4
81. List the Hand tools used in Foundry.
Shoel, Hand riddle, Rammers, Strike off bar, Towels, Slicks, Lifters or cleaners, Drag Spike, Draw screws and rapping plate, Smoothers and corner slicks, Mallet, Swab, Sprue pin, Sprue cutter, Goggers, Bellow.
82. What is the function of Hand riddle?
Used for hand riddling of sand to remove foreign material from it.
83. What is a Rammer?
Rammers are used for striking the sand mass in the moulding box to pack it uniformly around the pattern.
84.Give the classification of Rammer.
1. Peen rammer
2. Hand rammer
3. Floor rammer
85. What is the use of Vent wire in foundry?
It is a thin steel rod. After ramming and striking off the excess sand it is used to make small holes, called vents, in the sand mould to allow the exit of gases and steam during casting.
86. What is a Mallet?
In foundry work it is used for driving the draw spike into the pattern and the rapping it.
87. What is a Swab?
It is a hemp fibre brush used for moistening the edges off sand mould, which are in contact with the pattern surface, before withdrawing the pattern.
88. What is the use of sprue cutter?
It is used to produce the hole after ramming the mould. It is in the form of a tapered hollow tube.
89. What are Goggers?
Bent of pieces wires and rods which are used for reinforcing the downward projecting sand mass I the cope.
90. What is the use of Bellow?
Used to blow but the loose or unwanted sand from the surface and cavity of the mould.
91. Mention the use of Trowels?
Used for finishing flat surfaces and joints in a mould.
92. What are Slicks?
They are used for repairing & finishing the mould surfaces & edges after
93. Which is the commonly used Slick?
The commonly used slicks are Heart & Leaf, Square & Heart, Spoon & Bead, Heart & Spoon.
94.List the containers used in foundry.
1. Moulding boxes or flasks
95. Mention the material of moulding boxes.
Made of Wood, Cast iron or steel.
96. Why Dry sand moulds always require metallic boxes?
Because dry sand moulds are heated for drying.
97. Why the Ladles are used?
They are used to receive molten metal form the melting furnace and pour the same into the mould.
98. What is the capacity of ladles?
It’s capacity ranges from 30 kg – 1000 kg.
99.Why we required Crucibles?
They are similar in shape to the ladles. They are used as metal melting pots.
100. Define Moulding Machines.
Is device which, by means of large number of correlated internal parts and mechanisms, transmits & directs various forces & motions in required directions so as to help the preparation of a sand mould.
101. What are the Functions of moulding machines.?
1. Ramming of moulding sand
2. Rolling over or inverting the mould
3. Rapping the pattern.
4. Withdrawing the pattern from the mould.
102. Mention the types of moulding machines.
1. Jar / Jolt machine
2. Squeezer machine
3. Jolt – Squeezer machine
4. slinging machines or sand slingers.
5. Diaphragm moulding machine
103. Where we get the foundry sand?
The common sources of collecting foundry ands are rivers, lakes, sea and deserts.
104. Give the main group of foundry sand.
1. Natural sand
2. Silica sand
105. What are the constituent of Natural sand?
It contains sufficient amount of binding clay.
106. What is silica sand?
Which do not possess the clay content and need addition of a suitable binder to make them usable for foundry work.
107. Which is called as Sharp sand?
Silica sand is called as sharp sand.
108. Mention the common colours of sands used in foundry work.
They are White, Yellow, Brown, Grey & Red.
109. Mention the common sources of foundry sands in India?
1. Damodar & Barkar ares & Raj mahal hills in Bihar
2. Batala in Punjab
3. Bhavnagar & satara in maharastra
4. Avadi & Veeriyambkkam in Madras
5. Hoogli in Bengal
6. Rourkela in orissa.
110. List the characteristics of Foundry sand.
3. Flowability or plasticity
111. Explain Refractoriness of foundry sand?
It is that property of the moulding sand which enables it to withstand high temperatures of the molten metal without using thus facilitating a clean casting.
112. Define Permeability of foundry sand.
It is also termed as porosity. It is the property of the sand which allows the gases and steam to escape through the sand mould.
113. What do you mean by Flowability or plasticity
It is that property of the sand due to which it flows during ramming to all portions of the moulding flask. This increases with the addition of clay and water content and reduction of green strength and grain size.
114. What is Adhesiveness of foundry sand?
It is that property of the sand due to which it is capable of adhering to the surfaces of other materials.
115. Define Cohesiveness of foundry sand?
It is that property of the sand due to which its rammed particles bind together firmly and the pattern is withdrawn from the mould without damaging the mould surfaces and edges.
116. What is collapsibility of foundry sand?
It is the property due to which the sand mould automatically collapses after solidification of the casting to allow a free contraction of metal.
Mention the Terminology of foundry sand.
1. Green sand
2. Dry sand
3. Facing sand
4. Parting sand
5. Floor. Black or baking sand
6. Core sand
7. Oil sand
8. Molasses sand
117. What is Green sand?
It is also known as tempered sand. Which contains just enough moisture to give it sufficient bond. Moulds in this sand are known as green sand moulds.
118. What is Dry sand?
It is a mouldiang sand which was originally having excess moisture content but the same has been evaporated from it by drying its mould in a suitable oven.
119. What is the use of Facing sand?
This forms the facer of the mould, i.e, rammed around the pattern surface. It is nothing but the fresh prepared and well tempered foundry sand.
120. What is Parting sand?
This sand is sprinkled on the pattern and the parting surfaces of the mould so that the sand mass of one flask does not stick to that of the other or the pattern.
Forging and Foundry process : Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4
More Resources /articles
Technical Mechanical Interview Question and Answers
Machine Design Notes , article , Interview Que. and Ans.
Manufacturing Technology Notes , Articles
Latest seminar topic index - Report ,PPT Download
New Mechanical Projects 2020 ( All Projects Post Index List )
Mechanical engineering is one of the most physically demanding professions that involve designing, manufacturing, and maintaining mechanical systems. A mechanical engineer's work involves utilizing...
Management is an essential component of every project and team. A competent manager is indispensable in guiding the team, owning outcomes, and mediating conflicts. Engineering managers, in...