What is DWG files – How To Open .dwg Files
What is a DWG File?
Filename extension: (plain); (standards); (template)
Type of format: Computer-aided design
Developed by: Autodesk, Open Design Alliance and others
- Derived from “Drawing”, DWG is a binary file format used for containing 2D and 3D design data. DWG files are basically CAD (Computer Aided Design) drawings consisting of vector image data and metadata written with binary coding. It is the native format of most CAD applications, specially AutoCAD. In fact, it was developed in the 1970’s by the same authority ‘AutoDesk’ who developed AutoCAD. This format is widely used by architects, engineers, and designers for various designing purposes. DWG files are compatible with CorelDRAW.
- DWG (from drawing) is a proprietary binary file format used for storing two- and three- dimensional design data and metadata. It is the native format for several CAD packages including DraftSight, AutoCAD, IntelliCAD (and its variants), Caddie and Open Design Alliance compliant applications. In addition, DWG is supported non-natively by many other CAD applications.
- The .bak (drawing backup), .dws (drawing standards), .dwt (drawing template) and .sv$ (temporary automatic save) files are also DWG files.
- The DWG format is probably the most widely used format for CAD drawings. Autodesk estimates that in 1998 there were in excess of two billion DWG files in existence.
- DWG files are compatible with lots of 3D drawing and CAD programs, which makes it easy to transfer drawings between programs. However, because there are numerous versions of the format, some DWG viewers can’t open every type of DWG file.
How To Open .dwg Files
There are lot of different ways available to open .dwg file format. Following are some free dwg softwares to open dwg files
- Autodesk has a free DWG file viewer for Windows called DWG TrueView.
- They also have a free online DWG viewer called Autodesk Viewer that will work with any operating system. Of course the full Autodesk programs – AutoCAD, Design, and Fusion 360 – recognize DWG files too.
Some other DWG file viewers and editors include
- Bentley View,
- TurboCAD Pro or LTE,
- ACD Systems Canvas,
- SolidWorks eDrawings Viewer,
- Adobe Illustrator,
- Bricsys Bricscad,
- Serif DrawPlus, and
- DWG DXF Sharp Viewer.
- Dassault Systemes DraftSight can open a DWG file on Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems.
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...