Seminar On Space Robotics -Report Free Download
Introduction to space Robotics :
automated manufacturing equipment. Today there is lot of interest in this field and a separate branch of technology ‘robotics’ has emerged. It is concerned with all problems of robot design, development and applications. The technology to substitute or subsidise the manned activities in space is called space robotics. Various applications of space robots are the inspection of a defective satellite, its repair, or the construction of a space station and supply goods to this station and its retrieval etc. With the over lap of knowledge of kinematics, dynamics and control and progress in fundamental technologies it is about to become possible to design and develop the advanced robotics systems. And this will throw open the doors to explore and experience the universe and bring countless changes for the better in the ways we live.
STRUCTURE OF SPACE ROBOTS
DESCRIPTION OF STRUCTURE OF SPACE ROBOT
A joint permits relative motion between two links of a robot.
Two types of joints are
- Roll joint – rotational axis is identical with the axis of the fully extended arm.
- Pitchjoint – rotational axis is perpendicular to the axis of the extended arm
and hence rotation angle is limited.
Each joint consists of
- Pancake type DC torque motors (rare earth magnet type) which have advantage over other types of motors with respect to size, weight, response time and high torque to inertia ratio.
- Harmonic gear drive used for torque amplification/speed reduction. These gear drives have near zero backlash, can obtain high gear ratios in one stage only and have high efficiency.
- Electromagnetically actuated friction brakes, which prevent unintentional movements to the arms. This is specifically required when the gear drive is not self-locking. In space environment, where the gravity loads are absent (zero ‘g’ environment) brakes will help to improve the stability of the joint actuator control system. i.e. the brake can be applied as soon as the joint velocity is less than the threshold value.
- Electro optical angular encoders at each axis to sense the position of the end of the arm. Space qualified lubricants like molybdenum disulphide (bonded film/sputtered), lead, gold etc. will be used for the gear drives and for the ball bearings.
and in such a way that the position and the orientation remains accurately known with respect to the arm. Robot arms can manipulate objects having complicated shapes and fragile in nature.
position after the deflecting forces are removed.
Introduction to Seals : Oil under pressure is moving in every hydraulic circuit. Since oil is a liquid it has the tendency to 'leak' through every gas/slot it finds during movement. This leakage of...
Introduction to Slotting Machine : The slotter or slotting machine is also a reciprocating type of machine tool similar to a shaper. It may be considered as a vertical shaper. The machine operates...