Rear Engine Rear Wheel Drive | Advantages and Disadvantages
This arrangement eliminates the necessity for a propeller shaft when the engine is mounted adjacent to driven wheels. The engine-clutch-gearbox-final drive forms a single unit in this layout. In order to reduce the ‘overhang’ distance between wheel centres and the front side of the engine, the final drive is generally placed between clutch and gear box.
Read more :
Front Engine Front Wheel Drive | Diagram , Advantages
Front Engine Rear Wheel Drive | Advantages and Disadvantages
Advantages of Rear Engine rear wheel drive :
1. Short driveline because the engine, gearbox and final drive can be built into a single unit.
2. A majority of weight at the rear of the vehicle gives improved traction during hill climbing and acceleration.
3. It has a simple drive shaft layout compared to a front wheel drive.
4. Effective rear wheel braking is possible with this layout.
5. Due to the absence of the propeller shaft, the obstructed floor space is reduced.
6. The exhaust gases, fumes, engine heat and noises are carried away from passengers.
7. The drive arrangement results a compact layout and short car.
8. The front of the vehicle can be designed for good visibility and smooth air flow.
Disadvantages rear engine rear wheel drive :
1. The rearward concentration of weight causes the vehicle to be more affected by side winds at high speeds. It makes the vehicle turning very sharply into a curve.
2. It is difficult to accommodate the liquid cooling of the engine.
3.It is difficult to accommodate the fuel tank in a safe zone of the vehicle.
4. Space for luggage is reduced.
5. Steering is difficult in slippery conditions.
6. It has a restricted luggage compartment due to narrow front which houses the fuel tank also.
7. Natural air cooling is not possible because it requires a powerful fan.
8. Long linkages are required for the engine, clutch and gear box controls.
Mechanical engineering is one of the most physically demanding professions that involve designing, manufacturing, and maintaining mechanical systems. A mechanical engineer's work involves utilizing...
Management is an essential component of every project and team. A competent manager is indispensable in guiding the team, owning outcomes, and mediating conflicts. Engineering managers, in...