Pedal Powered Washing Machine (PPWM) is a low cost washing machine made up of easily and readily available scrap parts in daily life. It is a machine which generates power through human pedaling and with the drive mechanism, converts the pedaling motion into required rotary motion of the drum. Its innovation lies in its simple design, use of inexpensive parts, very low repairing and maintenance cost, affordability to each member of the society and it does not affect the environment. Our team intends to directly address the problems faced in washing clothes, and thus have developed a new design for easy effort in washing, rinsing and drying clothes. PPWM is a completely new concept, which in its one laundry cycle does washing, rinsing and drying of clothes similar to that of an automatic washing machine available in the market.
Project has the following objectives –
1) Provide a low cost machine. 2) A very effective machine which is not only cheap but has low maintenance cost. It should have readily available components and should be ergonomically efficient. 3) Wash any type of cloth. 4) Must have all the mechanisms – Washing, Rinsing, and Spinning.
Design Of Pedal Operated Washing Machine:
Clothes are washed in pedal powered washing machine like in any other washing machine in 3 basic steps:
3. Spin drying
Design of Wash Mechanism
The washing of clothes in front loading washing machines requires that the tub of the washing machine executes rotations in both senses i.e. clockwise for some time, then anti-clockwise for some-time and then again clockwise and so on. The shaft connected to the bicycle rotates in one direction
only so some mechanism had to be designed by which the sense of rotation could be changed i.e. the power obtained from a shaft rotating in one direction had to be modified so as to execute rotation in both senses in a periodic way. Thus rack and pinion arrangement was used. In this mechanism the rack would reciprocate and a pinion would mesh with the reciprocating rack, as the direction of motion of the rack changes, the sense of rotation of the pinion would also change and the required objective shall be accomplished. The reciprocating motion of the rack from a shaft rotating in one
direction could be achieved in two ways:
i. Quick Return Mechanism
ii. Slider Crank Mechanism
Design of Rinse and Spin dry Mechanism
For the rinsing and spin dry the tub needs to rotate in one direction only. One of the important parameters for rinse and spin dry processes is the speed at which the tub rotates. Since there was no need for us to change the sense of rotation for rinsing and spin dry processes, it could be achieved simply by meshing of gears having the proper gear ratio. In the case of pedal powered washing machine, we required a reduction ratio of 2 for the spin and rinsing processes, so appropriate gears were made to mesh and the drive was finally sent to the tub to execute rotations at high speeds for the rinsing and spin dry processes.
Design of Drive Selector
In order to switch between the wash mode and the rinse and spin dry mode a drive selector was designed by the use of which the tub could be made to rotate in the desired mode by the user. The drive selector has a very simple design; it consists of a hollow pipe on which a gear (drive selector gear) is mounted. The hollow pipe has a hole for a bolt to pass through. This hollow pipe can move over a solid pipe which has holes in two positions where the hollow pipe can be bolted. In one of the positions, the drive selector gear meshes with the spin and rinse gear as shown in the image and in the
other position it meshes with the wash gear. Accordingly the tub rotates in the desired mode.
PPWM offers certain advantages over a standard (simple) washing machine used. Listed below are some of the
1. Eco friendly and non-polluting in every way.
2. Less noisy
3. The machine has low manufacturing cost. It is highly economical and affordable to all class of people.
4. Works without electricity so it can be an ideal machine for the people in the electricity deficient Indian villages
5. Less tiring than conventional washing techniques by hand. This would greatly contribute in increasing the productivity of the manual laundries all over the world.
6. Lesser chances of failure than electronic washing machine as the mechanical systems used in the machine have stood the test the time.
7. More reliable: Due to simplicity of design the chances of failure are reduced drastically thus making the machine all the more reliable.
8. Lesser maintenance required: Maintenance of PPWM involves mostly lubricating the various parts which can be done even at home so maintenance cost are drastically cut down.
9. Zero operating cost: Since the machine is manually driven.
10. Very effective in protecting the hands of washer men from the harmful effects of the chemicals in the detergents.
11. It would help to reduce the physical stress which is applied on the hands during washing clothes.
The main objective is to provide a product with an alternative way to wash clothes when there is no electricity. It has to be understood that in rural areas, it is a very stressful and laborious task. So the product which is a pedal driven machine, it satisfies the need of rural people by giving them an
alternative way of washing clothes which is quick, cost effective and eco-friendly. The product designed has zero operating cost, cost-effective, and it can be used with minimal effort.
Sachin is a B-TECH graduate in Mechanical Engineering from a reputed Engineering college. Currently, he is working in the sheet metal industry as a designer. Additionally, he has interested in Product Design, Animation, and Project design. He also likes to write articles related to the mechanical engineering field and tries to motivate other mechanical engineering students by his innovative project ideas, design, models and videos.