Pneumatic Bench Vice Model – Mechanical Project Report Download
The goal of this project is to create a model of bench vice which is pneumatically operated. Using air pressure to create mechanical motion in the spindle of the vice provides a safe & efficient way to reduce human effort.
The mechanical motion in the spindle is created with the help of a double actuating cylinder which is operated by a 5/2 pilot valve & two 3/2 push buttons with the help of the air hoses.
It’s a device used to hold the work pieces for different machining operations such as fitting, finishing etc. & is fixed to the work table with the bolts & nuts through slots provided on the vice base.
It consists of four main parts:
FIXED JAW: It is usually cast integral with vice body or base.
MOVABLE JAW: It slides on the ways of the casting & is operated with a screw or spindle.
SCREW: It gives movable jaw the forward or backward movement.
CASTING: It constitutes the base of the vice & has ways for the movable bar.
Pneumatic is the discipline that deals with the mechanical properties of gases such as pressure & density & applies the principle to use compressed gas as a source of power to solve engineering problem. The most widely used compressed gas is air & thus its use has become synonymous with the term pneumatics.
Today the most important property of the medium air is the simple conversion of pressure into force & translational displacement using a piston in a circular bore.
ADVANTAGES OF AIR
- Does not generate sparks.
- Poses no health hazard.
- Can be easily stored.
- Atmospheric air is free & this had led to statement that compressed air is a cheap form of energy.
A model of bench vice coupled with double acting cylinder which is operated by 5/2 pilot valve & 3/2 push button (spring return) is used for the test purpose.
The experiment was designed to hold the workpiece with the help of the pneumatic force provided by the double acting cylinder rod.
The experimental strategy was to design a bench vice with mild steel as a material & then couple it with the rod of the double acting cylinder so as to obtain the desired pneumatic force which is used to hold the workpiece.
1. Design a bench vice with the mild steel as its material. (Designing is done in CATIA V5 which can be seen on APPENDIX I)
2. A double acting cylinder is coupled with the 5/2 pilot valve & 3/2 push button with the help of air hoses & its working has been checked. (pneumatic drawing is done with the help of FESTO FLUID DRAW 5 DEMO which can be seen on APPENDIX II ).
3. The bench vice is bolted to the wooden work table.
4. The double acting cylinder is now bolted to the wooden work table from one side & on another side it is placed in a frame which is bolted to the wooden work table at a specified distance.
The project undertaken on operating a model of bench vice with the help of the mechanical motion obtained due to application of pneumatic force in an actuator is found to be fully functional.
Also, it has been seen that pneumatic vice reduces the human effort for holding the work piece in comparison to the conventional used one.
Download Report :
Hammers are some of the most essential tools in any toolbox. They come in different types and sizes, each designed for specific purposes. If you’re doing any kind of construction work, DIY...
Bridges are a crucial part of our infrastructure, allowing us to connect and traverse various terrains. They play a significant role in transportation, enabling the movement of people and goods...