Lapping Process- Characteristics, Advantages ,Process Parameter
Characteristics of lapping process:
- Use of loose abrasive between lap and the work piece.
- Usually lap and work piece are not positively driven but are guided in contact with each other.
- In order to avoid the repetitive path of the abrasive grains of the lap on the work piece, relative motion between the lap and the work should change continuously.
- Cast iron is the mostly used lap material. However, soft steel, copper, brass, hardwood as well as hardened steel and glass are also used.
Abrasives of lapping
- Al2O3 and SiC, grain size 5~100μm
- Cr2O3, grain size 1~2 μm
- B4C3, grain size 5-60 μm
- Diamond, grain size 0.5~5 V
Vehicle materials for lapping
- Machine oil
- Rape oil
Technical parameters affecting lapping processes
- unit pressure
- grain size of abrasive
- concentration of abrasive in the vehicle
- lapping speed
Advantages of lapping
- Improves surface finish by eliminating the peaks and valleys.
- Create maximum bearing area between the mating surfaces.
- Improves service life of the moving parts which are subject to wear.
- Improves geometrical and dimensional accuracies.
- There is absolutely no distortion in the component after lapping since no clamping devices are used.
- Minimizes the necessity of re hardening hardened parts because of less heat generation.
- Accessible flat surfaces of parts of any shape and size and any type of material can be lapped.
Introduction to Seals : Oil under pressure is moving in every hydraulic circuit. Since oil is a liquid it has the tendency to 'leak' through every gas/slot it finds during movement. This leakage of...
Introduction to Slotting Machine : The slotter or slotting machine is also a reciprocating type of machine tool similar to a shaper. It may be considered as a vertical shaper. The machine operates...