Lapping Process- Characteristics, Advantages ,Process Parameter
Characteristics of lapping process:
- Use of loose abrasive between lap and the work piece.
- Usually lap and work piece are not positively driven but are guided in contact with each other.
- In order to avoid the repetitive path of the abrasive grains of the lap on the work piece, relative motion between the lap and the work should change continuously.
- Cast iron is the mostly used lap material. However, soft steel, copper, brass, hardwood as well as hardened steel and glass are also used.
Abrasives of lapping
- Al2O3 and SiC, grain size 5~100μm
- Cr2O3, grain size 1~2 μm
- B4C3, grain size 5-60 μm
- Diamond, grain size 0.5~5 V
Vehicle materials for lapping
- Machine oil
- Rape oil
Technical parameters affecting lapping processes
- unit pressure
- grain size of abrasive
- concentration of abrasive in the vehicle
- lapping speed
Advantages of lapping
- Improves surface finish by eliminating the peaks and valleys.
- Create maximum bearing area between the mating surfaces.
- Improves service life of the moving parts which are subject to wear.
- Improves geometrical and dimensional accuracies.
- There is absolutely no distortion in the component after lapping since no clamping devices are used.
- Minimizes the necessity of re hardening hardened parts because of less heat generation.
- Accessible flat surfaces of parts of any shape and size and any type of material can be lapped.
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...