Table of Contents
Electro Chemical Machining -Parameter, Advantages and Disadvantages
Introduction To Electro Chemical Machining
Diagram Of Electro Chemical Machining Setup:
Advantages of ECM:
- Any good electrically conducting material can be machined and its mechanical properties have no bearing on its machinability through this process.
- Intricate and complex shapes can be machined easily through this process.
- Metal removal rate is quite high in comparison to traditional machining, specially in respect of high tensile and high temperature resistance materials.
- Wear on tool is insignificant or (say) almost non-existent.
- The machined work surface is free of stresses.
- No cutting forces are involved in the process.
- High surface finishes, of the order of 0.1 to 2.0 microns, can be obtained.
- It is an accurate process and close tolerances of the order of 0.05 mm can be easily obtained.
- With the application of such process, many machining operations like grinding, milling, polishing etc. can be avoided.
Disadvantages of ECM:
- Materials which are non-conductors of electricity cannot be machined.
- Power consumption is very high.
- Corrosion and rusting of workpiece, machine tool, fixtures etc. by electrolyte is a constant menace.
- Required initial cost is very high.
- Extermely fine corner radii, say less than 2.0 mm cannot be produced.
- Designing and fabrication of tools is difficult.
Application of ECM:
- Machining of hard to machine and heat resistant materials.
- machining of blind holes and pockets, such as in forging dies.
- Machining of complicated profiles, such as of jet engine blades, turbine blades.
- Drilling small deep holes, such as in nozzles.
- Machining of cavities and holes of irregular shapes.
- Deburring of parts.
Hammers are some of the most essential tools in any toolbox. They come in different types and sizes, each designed for specific purposes. If you’re doing any kind of construction work, DIY...
Bridges are a crucial part of our infrastructure, allowing us to connect and traverse various terrains. They play a significant role in transportation, enabling the movement of people and goods...