Electro Chemical Machining -Parameter, Advantages and Disadvantages
Introduction To Electro Chemical Machining
Diagram Of Electro Chemical Machining Setup:
Advantages of ECM:
- Any good electrically conducting material can be machined and its mechanical properties have no bearing on its machinability through this process.
- Intricate and complex shapes can be machined easily through this process.
- Metal removal rate is quite high in comparison to traditional machining, specially in respect of high tensile and high temperature resistance materials.
- Wear on tool is insignificant or (say) almost non-existent.
- The machined work surface is free of stresses.
- No cutting forces are involved in the process.
- High surface finishes, of the order of 0.1 to 2.0 microns, can be obtained.
- It is an accurate process and close tolerances of the order of 0.05 mm can be easily obtained.
- With the application of such process, many machining operations like grinding, milling, polishing etc. can be avoided.
Disadvantages of ECM:
- Materials which are non-conductors of electricity cannot be machined.
- Power consumption is very high.
- Corrosion and rusting of workpiece, machine tool, fixtures etc. by electrolyte is a constant menace.
- Required initial cost is very high.
- Extermely fine corner radii, say less than 2.0 mm cannot be produced.
- Designing and fabrication of tools is difficult.
Application of ECM:
- Machining of hard to machine and heat resistant materials.
- machining of blind holes and pockets, such as in forging dies.
- Machining of complicated profiles, such as of jet engine blades, turbine blades.
- Drilling small deep holes, such as in nozzles.
- Machining of cavities and holes of irregular shapes.
- Deburring of parts.
Introduction to Seals : Oil under pressure is moving in every hydraulic circuit. Since oil is a liquid it has the tendency to 'leak' through every gas/slot it finds during movement. This leakage of...
Introduction to Slotting Machine : The slotter or slotting machine is also a reciprocating type of machine tool similar to a shaper. It may be considered as a vertical shaper. The machine operates...