Design and fabrication of drill tool dynamometer-Mechanical Project
- Conversion into another suitable variable (deflection, expansion etc)
- Amplification, filtration and stabilization
- Reading or recording
- measurement of elastic deflection of a body subjected to the cutting force
- measurement of elastic deformation, i.e. strain induced by the force
- measurement of pressure developed in a medium by the force.
- The dynamometer should have sufficient mechanical rigidity to avoid excessive deformation of the cutting edge under the action of cutting forces
- It should have sufficient sensitivity to enable measurement of cutting forces with sufficient accuracy
- It should have high stiffness and low mass, ensuring 100 percent transmissibility of force by its very high natural frequency. This feature will also enable the recorded force to be unaffected by the exciting vibration due to machining process itself. Example : milling , grinding and shaping
- It should be capable of indicating individual force components without any cross effect, while measuring such forces simultaneously
- The measuring system should be stable with reference to time, temperature and humidity, requiring only occasional checking after calibration.
Physical construction of a strain gauge type 2 – D drilling dynamometer for measuring torque and thrust force is typically shown schematically in Fig.and pictorially in Fig.. Four strain gauges are mounted on the upper and lower surfaces of the two opposite ribs for PX – channel and four on the side surfaces of the other two ribs for the torque channel. Before use, the dynamometer must be calibrated to enable determination of the actual values of T and PX from the voltage values or reading taken in SMB or PC.
The gauge connections may be
Mechanical engineering is one of the most physically demanding professions that involve designing, manufacturing, and maintaining mechanical systems. A mechanical engineer's work involves utilizing...
Management is an essential component of every project and team. A competent manager is indispensable in guiding the team, owning outcomes, and mediating conflicts. Engineering managers, in...