Table of Contents
Diaphragm clutch | Diagram , Working , Advantages
The construction of this type of clutch is similar to a single plate clutch except that the diaphragm springs called Belleville springs are used instead of the ordinary coil spring. This type of clutch is more advantages because it requires no release levers and the spring itself acts as a series of levers. The pressure of the spring is always varying. It increases till the spring reaches to its flat position and decreases with the passing of this position. If this clutch is used, the driver does not require to exert such heavy pedal pressure to hold the clutch out of engagement as in the case of coil spring type clutch.
Figure 3.10 shows the construction details of the diaphragm clutch. It consists of a diaphragm spring which is supported on a fulcrum retaining ring i.e. pivot ring so that any section through the spring can be regarded as a simple lever. In the engaged position, the spring pivots on the rear pivot rings as it is held in a clutch cover so that its outer rim contacts the pressure plate. In this position, the pressure plate is in contact with its outer rim. Therefore, sufficient pressure is exerted by the spring making a firm contact between pressure plate and clutch plate as well as the flywheel in its natural conical position.
To disengage the clutch, the pedal is depressed to cause the linkage to move throw-out bearing towards the flywheel. As the bearing contacts the inner position of the conical spring, it moves forward which causes the rim to move backward since the spring pivots on the front pivot ring. It removes the pressure on the pressure plate and releases the clutch disc from contact with both driving members.
1. It requires lower operating effort due to reduced friction in the clutch mechanism.
2. There is a constant and uniform load on the driven plate throughout the life of a clutch.
3. At high speeds, the clamping load on the diaphragm springs is not affected as in the case of coil spring which starts bowing or distorting transversely.
4. The dangerous vibrations in the vehicles are altogether eliminated because it provides accurate balance at all times.
5. Due to its compact design, a clutch housing required is quite short.
6. Due to firm foundation and absence of vibrations, it eliminates squeaks and rafting.
Hammers are some of the most essential tools in any toolbox. They come in different types and sizes, each designed for specific purposes. If you’re doing any kind of construction work, DIY...
Bridges are a crucial part of our infrastructure, allowing us to connect and traverse various terrains. They play a significant role in transportation, enabling the movement of people and goods...