Cone Clutch – Basic
Cone Clutch – Construction
Working of Cone Clutch:
Difference Between Multiplate clutch and Cone Clutch :
Multi-plate clutches – Small power transmission for the same operating condition.
Cone Clutch – Very large power/torque transmission. (Because of increase of normal force). i.e. Fn = F/Sinα; α is semi cone angle F is axial force; Fn is the normal force
Multiplate clutch – Size is larger
Cone Clutch – Smaller size or require less actuating force compared with plate clutch.
Cone Clutch Formulas
Advantages Of Cone Clutch:
- A small axial force is required to keep the clutch engaged.
- Simple design.
- For a given dimension, the torque transmitted by the cone clutch is higher than that of a single plate clutch.
Disadvantages Of Cone Clutch :
- One pair of friction surfaces only.
- The tendency to grab.
- The small cone angle causes some reluctance in disengagement.
- If the angle of the cone is smaller than 200, the male cone tends to bind or joint in the female cone. It requires heavy force to disengage the clutch.
- A small amount of wear on the cone surface results a considerable axial movement of the male cone for which it will be difficult to allow.
Application Of Cone Clutch :
- Cone Clutches are used in specialist transmissions in racing, rallying, or in extreme off-road or other industrial applications.
- Machine Tools
- Racing Car
Mechanical engineering is one of the most physically demanding professions that involve designing, manufacturing, and maintaining mechanical systems. A mechanical engineer's work involves utilizing...
Management is an essential component of every project and team. A competent manager is indispensable in guiding the team, owning outcomes, and mediating conflicts. Engineering managers, in...