Cone Clutch – Basic
Cone Clutch – Construction
Working of Cone Clutch:
Difference Between Multiplate clutch and Cone Clutch :
Multi-plate clutches – Small power transmission for the same operating condition.
Cone Clutch – Very large power/torque transmission. (Because of increase of normal force). i.e. Fn = F/Sinα; α is semi cone angle F is axial force; Fn is the normal force
Multiplate clutch – Size is larger
Cone Clutch – Smaller size or require less actuating force compared with plate clutch.
Cone Clutch Formulas
Advantages Of Cone Clutch:
- A small axial force is required to keep the clutch engaged.
- Simple design.
- For a given dimension, the torque transmitted by the cone clutch is higher than that of a single plate clutch.
Disadvantages Of Cone Clutch :
- One pair of friction surfaces only.
- The tendency to grab.
- The small cone angle causes some reluctance in disengagement.
- If the angle of the cone is smaller than 200, the male cone tends to bind or joint in the female cone. It requires heavy force to disengage the clutch.
- A small amount of wear on the cone surface results a considerable axial movement of the male cone for which it will be difficult to allow.
Application Of Cone Clutch :
- Cone Clutches are used in specialist transmissions in racing, rallying, or in extreme off-road or other industrial applications.
- Machine Tools
- Racing Car
Introduction to Seals : Oil under pressure is moving in every hydraulic circuit. Since oil is a liquid it has the tendency to 'leak' through every gas/slot it finds during movement. This leakage of...
Introduction to Slotting Machine : The slotter or slotting machine is also a reciprocating type of machine tool similar to a shaper. It may be considered as a vertical shaper. The machine operates...