About COVID 19
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). It was first identified in December 2019 in Wuhan, China, and since spread globally, resulting in an ongoing pandemic. Common symptoms include fever, cough, fatigue, shortness of breath, and loss of smell and taste. The virus is primarily spread between people during close contact, most often via small droplets produced by coughing, sneezing, and talking. The droplets usually fall to the ground or onto surfaces rather than traveling through air over long distances. Less commonly, people may become infected by touching a contaminated surface and then touching their face.
Preventive Measures against Corona :
Recommended measures to prevent infection include,
- Frequent handwashing,
- Maintaining physical distance from others (especially from those with symptoms),
- Quarantine (especially for those with symptoms),
- Covering coughs, and keeping unwashed hands away from the face.
The use of cloth face coverings such as a scarf or a bandana is recommended in public settings to minimize the risk of transmissions, with some authorities requiring their use. Medical grade facemasks such as N95 masks should only be used by healthcare workers, first responders, and those who care for infected individuals.
Corona related Mechanical Project ideas :
To avoid coronavirus communitive spread preventive measures should be taken as per government and World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines. To handle this corona related situation people are inventing some best and effective solutions to COVID 19 related problems. Combinations of social distancing, home quarantine, closure of schools and universities, and case isolation are now being extensively practiced. Creativity is being implemented each day to overcome response barriers to those at work and meet the needs of those asked to stay at home.
In this article, we will discuss some projects, products related to COVID 19 or coronavirus. Some Manufacturing companies have started the production of corona preventive safety equipment. With this post, Mechanical students will get some ideas, topics for their final year project presentation. Also, this post may motivate some of the students to develop a solution to corona related problems.
1. Foot Operated simple Sand sanitizer Stand :
Frequently sanitizing hands with sanitizer liquid is essential to kill bacterias presents on hands. To avoid contact /touch with sanitizer bottle foot operated stand is used. This stand can be fabricated using simple tubes and sheet metal brackets and holders. This stand consists of a foot operating lever, tube structure, sanitizer bottle holder, and bottle holder position adjusting knob. When foot lever is pressed tubes move downward and sanitizer bottles get operated. This product can cost around 10 to 15 dollars.
2. Design of Sanitation Disinfection Gate – Sanitizing Booth
Sanitation Disinfection Gate or tunnel is used to reduce bacteria and unwanted viruses from clothes or the outer body of objects. This sanitation disinfection gate or sanitizing booth can be made up of plastic, metal, ( MS and SS ).
The main parts used for making this setup are stainless steel sheet, spray nozzle, Motion Sensor, Electrical operated agricultural sprayer, piping, timer, relay circuit, etc.
This device can be used for public places like bus stops, Malls, Companies, cinema halls, temples, parks, hospitals etc.
3.Foot-operated water tap mechanism / Touchless hand washing and sanitizing arrangement :
This concept is similar to a foot-operated sanitizing machine. additionally, hand washing can be also possible to make touchless with help of a foot-operated mechanism. There are several foot operating hardware is available which acts as a valve, This valve is actuated by foot. The device ensures hands-free delivery of water from a plumbing system to ensure defense against cross infections from viruses and microbes as well as preventing the wastage of water.
When the foot pedal is pressed then valves get in ON position and water will come out from WATER TAP.
- Hands-free, foot-operated
- Reduces water wastage
- Eliminates human error
- Easy to use
4. Mechanical Lead screw Operated Ventilator :
- A ventilator is a machine that provides mechanical ventilation by moving breathable air into and out of the lungs, to deliver breaths to a patient who is physically unable to breathe, or breathing insufficiently. Modern ventilators are computerized microprocessor-controlled machines, but patients can also be ventilated with a simple, hand-operated bag valve mask. Ventilators are chiefly used in intensive care medicine, home care, and emergency medicine (as standalone units) and in anesthesiology (as a component of an anesthesia machine).
- In its simplest form, a modern positive pressure ventilator consists of a compressible air reservoir or turbine, air and oxygen supplies, a set of valves and tubes, and a disposable or reusable “patient circuit”.
- Ventilators may also be equipped with monitoring and alarm systems for patient-related parameters (e.g. pressure, volume, and flow) and ventilator function (e.g. air leakage, power failure, mechanical failure), backup batteries, oxygen tanks, and remote control.
- Modern ventilators are electronically controlled by a small embedded system to allow the exact adaptation of pressure and flow characteristics to an individual patient’s needs.
5. Sensor Operated Automatic hand sanitizer machine :
An infrared (IR) proximity sensor and a small solenoid is combined here to make the 6-Volt DC powered automatic soap dispenser unit. When the infrared sensor detects the close proximity of a hand, it enables the solenoid driver. The resulting voltage available at the output of the driver energizes the solenoid.
Main Components :
- Outer body
- Sanitizer Container
- Solenoid Valve
- Diaphragm pump
- Mist Atomizer
- Waterproof non-contact ultrasonic sensor
- Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS)
- Control Circuit.
Read more info regarding this: Technical Specification of “Contactless Sanitizer Dispenser CSD- DRDO
6. Mechanical sanitizer sprayer Pump for cleaning Home Surrounding :
The spraying is traditionally done by labor carrying backpack type sprayer which requires more human effort. Objectives of this concept is a modification of agricultural sprayer for sanitizing home surrounding frequently without using hands for pumping and holding the pump at the back of the human/operator.
This consists of a bicycle spoked wheel which connected with an oscillating hand pump lever using a chain and sprocket mechanism. All components are fixed on frame or body. When frame pushed forward wheel motion gets transmitted to the lever and pumping action takes place.
More concepts will be added soon. if you have any interesting ideas, concepts related COVID 19 problem then comment below or contact me on email@example.com. Colleges and universities should give more emphasis on medical field related project assignments for students.
For More Projects Checkout: 650+ Mechanical Engineering projects New Updated
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...