Ceramic Mould Casting | Advantages and Disadvantages
Ceramic Mould Casting:
• Ceramic mould casting method uses a ceramic slurry prepared by mixing fine grained refractory powders of Zircon ( Zr SiO4 ), alumina ( Al2 O3 ), fused silica ( Si O2 ) and a patented liquid chemical binder (alcohol based silicon ester) for making the mould.
• The patterns used are split gated metal patterns usually mounted on a match plate.
• Unlike the patterns in investment casting these patterns are reusable.
• The slurry is applied over the patterns surfaces to form a thin coating around it. The slurry fills up all cavities and recesses by it and no ramming or vibration of the mould is required.
• The pattern is withdrawn after it sets in about 3 to 5 minutes.
• The mould is removed from the flasks, treated with a hardener to promote chemical stabilization and transferred to an oven for heating to about 100°C.
• The mould is ready to take molten metal.
The advantages of the process include:
1. High precision and very good surface finish.
2. The process does not require any risering, venting or chilling because the rate of cooling is very slow.
3. Any patterns made of wood, metal or plastic can be used.
4. The process can be used for all types of metals including highly reactive titanium or uranium.
The method can be used for producing precision parts like dies for drawing, extrusion, casting, forging etc., pump impellers, components of nuclear reactors and air craft.
The main short comings of the process are its high cost and the difficulty in controlling dimensional tolerances across the parting line.
Advantage of Ceramic Mold Casting:
- High temperature pours possible therefore suitable for steels and other alloys
- Creative complex designs can be made
- Can be used for mass production
- Casting with accurate dimensional accuracy possible
- Little machining is required therefore difficult-to machine alloys can be cast
- Supports both industry and home foundry operations
- Complicate and innovative designs can be casted.
Applications of Ceramic Mold Casting:
Using stainless steel and bronze, ceramic mold casting is best suited for casting a wide variety of products ranging from house hold goods to industrial tools. Some of casted products are kitchen wares like kettles, industrial products like impellers, complex cutting tools, plastic mold tooling etc.
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...