CAD Tut 4.
Do this Initial Setting Before Starting any AutoCad Drawings.
The following instructions will inform you on how to perform the proper set-up of your AutoCAD settings. This set-up is crucial in order for you to produce a drawing that makes sense and is visually attractive. Read each step carefully before performing the action required.
- Enable Or Mange Toolbars . ADD Or Remove required toolbars. – Select the toolbars that you will use throughout your drawing. To do this, hover your mouse over an empty space at the top of your screen near the toolbars. Then right-click and select AutoCAD. A long list should show up, displaying various toolbars containing different commands. The most popular toolbars that are used for AutoCAD 2D drawings are the DRAW, MODIFY, and OBJECT PROPERTIES toolbars. Select these toolbars and they should pop-up on your screen.
- Check Visual Interference Options like Ortho, Snap, Otrack
4) Go to modelspace. There are two views in AutoCAD: modelspace and paperspace. Your drawing should always be made in modelspace, and dimensions that are added later should be represented in paperspace. To switch between modelspace and paperspace, view the tabs located at the bottom of the screen. One tab is labeled ‘modelspace’ and the other tabs are labeled either as ‘sheet’ or ‘layout’. The ‘sheet’ or ‘layout’ tabs indicate paperspace.If you are in modelspace, the background of the screen should appear black. If you are in paperspace, the background should appear white.
5) Set your units. Engineers represent units in various ways: feet, meters, etc. To ensure accuracy and eliminate confusion, it is important that the drawing is set in the proper units. To set up your units, type ‘UN’ into your keyboard and then select the ‘ENTER’ key. A dialog box should pop-up on the screen allowing you to specify the unit type and precision for your units.
Go ToFormat/Units/Following window will open then check units and change it.
6) Set Limits : Limits indicate your drawing page . Your Drawing should be in Limits box because this will help while taking print out of the same drawing;
Go To Format /Drawing Limits /
See Command Prompt
Specify lower left corner or [ON/OFF] :
Specify upper right corner : 700,500 (For Example)
Note- There is no change at sereen after limits command. The Zoom/All option of Zoom command will zoom up to the limits of drawings.
7) Check Coordinate System:
Cartesian or Rectangular coordinate system-
The rectangular coordinate system has two axes perpendicular to each other, the X-axis & Y-axis. The distance of P from the Y-axis the x-coordinate and the distance from the X-axis is the Y-coordinate.
Example- 4, 3.
Polar coordinate system-
The Polar coordinate system has an angle system, where the direction of positive. X axis is taken as the 0 degree and the all angle are measured in the counterclockwise (Anticlockwise) direction.
8) After Finishing All This Just Type Command ‘re’ or Z / All
Zoom- Zoom command is used to see the drawing with enlarge or reduce view. Various option are
available in Zoom command.
Command >> Zoom
Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or
- All – Zoom /All, zoom up to the limits or entire drawing, if the drawing extends outside the limits.
- Centre – Zoom/Centre expects the centre point of the zoom and magnification of zoom.
- Dynamic – Zoom dynamic zoom up drawing according to the size of screen. A dynamic window is appearing to specify the area of drawing to zoom.
Or Go To View Menu /Zoom/All
The following lists commonly used commands that are helpful in creating an AutoCAD drawing:
- Cancel – cancels a command. ‘ESC’
- Undo – undoes your last command. ‘CTRL’ + ‘Z’
- Erase – erases an object, line, or other item. E’ + ‘ENTER’ key
- Circle – creates a circle with a specific radius. ‘C’ + ‘ENTER’ key –> input radius length + ‘ENTER’ key
- Line – creates a line of a certain length. ‘L’ + ‘ENTER’ key –> input length of line + ‘ENTER’ key
More Resources /articles
Robotic and automation projects List - Abstract , Report
Hydraulic Jack Projects
Theoretical Project, Experimental Based projects
Product Ideas , Innovative Machine Ideas Projects
New Mechanical Projects 2020 ( All Projects Post Index List )
Mechanical engineering is one of the most physically demanding professions that involve designing, manufacturing, and maintaining mechanical systems. A mechanical engineer's work involves utilizing...
Management is an essential component of every project and team. A competent manager is indispensable in guiding the team, owning outcomes, and mediating conflicts. Engineering managers, in...