Biodiesel – Fuel In IC Engine | Advantages and Disadvantages
Biodiesel – Alternative Fuel For IC Engine
Fuel that is made from natural elements such as plants, vegetables, and reusable materials. This type of fuel is better for the atmosphere because, unlike other fuels, it does not give off harmful chemicals which can influence the environment negatively. The popularity of biodiesel fuel is consistently increasing as people search out alternative energy resources.
Biodiesel refers to a vegetable oil- or animal fat-based diesel fuel consisting of long-chain alkyl (methyl, propyl or ethyl) esters. Biodiesel is typically made by chemically reacting lipids (e.g., vegetable oil, animal fat with an alcohol producing fatty acid esters.
Biodiesel is meant to be used in standard diesel engines and is thus distinct from the vegetable and waste oils used to fuel converted diesel engines. Biodiesel can be used alone, or blended with petro diesel. Biodiesel can also be used as a low carbon alternative to heating oil.
Advantages of biodiesel :
- Using biofuels can reduce the amount of greenhouse gases emitted. They are a much cleaner source of energy than conventional sources.
- As more and more biofuel is created there will be increased energy security for the country producing it, as they will not have to rely on imports or foreign volatile markets.
- First generation biofuels can save up to 60% carbon emissions and second.
- Generation biofuels can save up to 80%.Biofuels will create a brand new job infrastructure and will help support local economies. This is especially true in third world countries. There can be a reduction in fossil fuel use.
- Biofuel operations help rural development.
- Biodiesel can be used in any diesel vehicle and it reduces the number of vibrations, smoke and noise produced.
- Biodiesel is biodegradable.
Disadvantages of Biodiesel :
- Biofuel development and production is still heavily dependent on Oil.
- As other plants are replaced, soil erosion will grow.
- A lot of water is used to water the plants, especially in dry climates.
- Deforestation in South America and South Eastern Asia causes loss of habitat for animals and for indigenous people living there.
- New technologies will have be developed for vehicles for them to use these fuels. This will increase their prices significantly.
More Resources :
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...