Table of Contents
Weld Quality | Importance , Factor Affecting On Weld Quality
Weld quality, concept, meaning, definition, importance, and factors affecting it. If the strength of the weld obtained is equal to the strength of base metal and weld does not contain any defect than its called good weld.
- To ensure quality welds, it is important to have a quality weld inspection program in place. In order to do so, a company must understand how to evaluate weld characteristics, determine weld quality.
- If the strength of weld obtained is equal to the strength of base metal and weld does not contain any defect then it is called a good weld
- The weld quality is directly related to weld design, magnitude of residual stresses & strain set up by welding heat, layout of welded joint, quality of base metal and quality of work preparation and fit ups.
GOOD WELD QUALITY IS:
- Uniform filling of the weld.
- Width of weld is equal through out its length.
- Weld is free from any type of defect.
- Weld is made by using tools, equipments & consumables suggested by the designer.
- Weld is found correct in all respect under suggested inspection and testing
- Quality of weld is such that it can satisfy all its service requirements.
IMPORTANCE OF WELD QUALITY:
- There are a number of reasons to inspect a weld, the most fundamental of which is to determine whether its quality is good enough for its intended application.
- To evaluate the quality of a weld, it is necessary to have a form of measurement to compare its characteristics and a qualified individual to perform the evaluation.
- It is not practical to evaluate quality without some form of specified acceptance criteria.It’s also not practical for a person who is not well-versed in the necessary procedures to perform this task.
- Welding is one of the most critical operations within ship construction. When welds fail, often the whole structure fails.
- A good quality of weld can satisfy the need of insurance companies they demands that the weld should fulfill following requirements as regards the weld quality.
1. welding method
2. electrode type
3. weld design
4. equipment used
5. parent metal
6. edge preparation
7. welding temperature
8. weld testing method
- Good quality weld provide safety during the service life of welded equipments so that accident can be prevented.
FACTORS AFFECTING WELD QUALITY:
Following factors affects the weld quality of weld in fabricated products made by arc and gas welding
1. poor design
2. incorrect dimensions.
3. Incorrect shape of weld
1. blow holes
3. incomplete filling
1. less strength
2. less ductility
3. improper hardness
4. less impact strength
5. Less corrosion resistance.
Hammers are some of the most essential tools in any toolbox. They come in different types and sizes, each designed for specific purposes. If you’re doing any kind of construction work, DIY...
Bridges are a crucial part of our infrastructure, allowing us to connect and traverse various terrains. They play a significant role in transportation, enabling the movement of people and goods...