Basic concepts of Thermal Engineering | Gate Mechanical Notes
- The pressure of the gas in terms of its mean kinetic energy per unit volume E is equal to 2E/3 and Kinetic Energy is always proportional to temperature.
- The super heated vapor acts as perfect gas and obeys all gas laws
- Absolute zero pressure will occur when there is no molecular momentum
- No liquid can exists at absolute zero pressure and absolute pressure can be attained at 0 Kelvin
- Behavior of gas can be fully determined by four gas laws
- For air ratio of specific heats is 1.4
- Mono-atomic gas has highest ratio of specific heat = 1.66As per Joule’s law internal energy is function of temperature.
- The same volume of all gases would represents their molecular weights
- Gases have two value of specific heat. One is at constant pressure and one is at constant volume
- The molecular weights of all the perfect gases occupy the same
- volume under same conditions of pressure and temperature.
- Work done in free expansion process is always zero
- Work done for rigid container having gas, is zero
- Heat and work are not properties of system
- Absolute value of internal energy cannot be found but only change in internal energy can be found
- On weight basis air contains 23 parts of oxygen
- Heat and work are path functions
- N.T.P means Normal Temperature Pressure
- Change in the enthalpy is the heat supplied during constant pressure
- Change in the internal energy is the heat supplied during constant volume
- For isothermal process, process index is unity
- The basis for measuring thermodynamic property of temperature is given by zeroth law of thermodynamics
- First law of thermodynamic gives concepts of internal energy
- Second law of thermodynamic gives concepts of entropy
- Third law of thermodynamic deals with concept of zero entropy at absolute zero temperature of 0 Kelvin.
- Throttling is the process during which cooling is produced
- 1 calorie = 4.186 Joule
- Integration of pdv is non flow work
- On volume basis air contains 21 parts of oxygen
- Molecular weight of gas x characteristics gas constant = value of universal gas constant
- For a perfect gas, internal energy and enthalpy are functions of temperature only.
More Resources /articles
Introduction to Pressure Vessels Vessels, tanks, and pipelines that carry, store, or receive fluids are called pressure vessels. A pressure vessel is defined as a container with a pressure...
Knuckle Joint A knuckle joint is used to connect two rods which are under the action of tensile loads. However, if the joint is guided, the rods may support a compressive load. A knuckle joint...