Types Of Engine used In Mechanical Applications
External combustion engine:
- In the steam engine or a steam turbine plant, the heat of combustion is employed to generate steam which is used in a piston engine (reciprocating type engine) or a turbine (rotary type engine) for useful work.
- In a closed cycle gas turbine, the heat of combustion in an external furnace is transferred to gas, usually air which the working fluid of the cycle.
Internal combustion engine:
- In this engine, the combustion of air and fuels take place inside the cylinder and are used as the direct motive force. It can be classified into the following types:
1. According to the basic engine design-
2. According to the type of fuel used-
3. According to the number of strokes per cycle-
4. According to the method of igniting the fuel-
5. According to the working cycle-
6. According to the fuel supply and mixture preparation-
7. According to the number of cylinder-
8. Method of cooling–water cooled or air cooled
9. Speed of the engine-Slow speed, medium speed and high speed engine
10. Cylinder arrangement-
f) opposed cylinder or piston engines.
11) According to Valve Location:
12) Air Intake Process
13 ) Method of Fuel Input for SI Engines
Introduction to Seals : Oil under pressure is moving in every hydraulic circuit. Since oil is a liquid it has the tendency to 'leak' through every gas/slot it finds during movement. This leakage of...
Introduction to Slotting Machine : The slotter or slotting machine is also a reciprocating type of machine tool similar to a shaper. It may be considered as a vertical shaper. The machine operates...