ASSEMBLY AND DIS-ASSEMBLY OF 6-CYLINDER ENGINE REPORT
ASSEMBLY AND DIS-ASSEMBLY OF 6-CYLINDER COMPRESSION IGNITION ENGINE – Mini Mechanical Project
Engine is one of the most important and costliest part/system of a vehicle, which acts like a heart of the human being, so, we have to keep it in always good condition.
It consumes around 55% of operating cost of the vehicle, due to which we have to concentrate more on it to reduce the operating cost and to improve the efficiency.
The following main systems of the engine are to be taken care of for optimum performance and long life of the engine.
- Air intake system.
- Cooling system.
- Lubrication system.
- Fuel injection system.
In order to observe the above systems, we have done a mini project on
“Assembly and disassembly of TATA 497d 6-cylinder engine and it’s systems” at ‘TATA MOTORS’ in Ongole.
- Procedure for checking & replacement of air filters, proper maintenance of the turbo charger, proper care of inter cooler etc., of the air intake system.
- Do’s and don’ts and precautions of cooling system.
- Procedures for the change of oils and oil filters along with do’s and don’ts of engine lubrication system.
- Fuel injection system with the replacing procedure of fuel filters and do’s and don’ts of fuel system.
- Important assembly procedure like cylinder head tightening process, taper adjustment, fuel injection pump installation procedure and timing etc.,
- Trouble shooting of various parts of engine along with “Check lists” which are to be carried out for best performance of engine.
A. Ignition System
1. Remove the flywheel cover
2. Identify the type of ignition system your engine uses
3. What materials are used in the steering wheel?
4. Remove the steering wheel with the right tools
5. What is the purpose of the starter clutch? Notice how it does not work in some orientations.
6. How much does the steering wheel weigh and what is its function? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of making it heavier?
7. Why does the steering wheel have a section made of a different material?
8. Draw the ignition system identifying all its components
9. Describe how the magnet system works
10. What is ignition timing and why is it important?
11. Remove the rest of the ignition system components
1. Remove the air filter and identify the type used
2. Why is the air filter important?
3. Identify carburetor style (pages 4 – 5 Section 3)
4. Remove the carburetor
5. What materials are used in the carburetor?
6. Describe how the Venturi works.
7. How many jets are used and what is their function?
8. How does the throttle work?
9. What type of regulator system does this carburetor use? How does it work?
10. Thoroughly dissect the carburetor assembly
11. Draw carburetor components
12. Reassemble and adjust carburetor to factory specifications
Note: Do not reinstall the carburetor in the engine block, this must be done in the last engine dissection lab!
Download Report :