Introduction Lathe Machine-Types Of Lathe Machine,Lathe Machine parts
Definition Of Lathe Machine:
Lathe is a machine, which removes the metal from a piece of work to the required shape and size.
Common types of lathes:
The most common form of lathe, motor driven and comes in large variety of sizes and shapes.
A bench top model usually of low power used to make precision machine small work pieces
A lathe that has the ability to follow a template to copy a shape or contour.
The lathe in which the work piece is automatically fed and removed without use of an operator. Cutting operations are automatically controlled by a sequencer of some form.
The lathes which have multiple tools mounted on turrent either attached to the tailstock or the cross-slide, which allows for quick changes in tooling and cutting operations.
Computer Controlled Lathe:
Highly automated lathes, where cutting, loading, tool changing, and part unloading are automatically controlled by computer coding.
The figure (1) shows Photographic view of Engine Lathe
|Lathe Machine Parts|
Centre lathe – constructional features
- Head stock
- Tail stock
- Feed rod
- Lead screw
- Feed change gear box
- Bed: supports all major components
- Carriage: slides along the ways and consists of the cross-slide, tool post, apron
- Headstock – Holds the jaws for the work piece, supplies power to the jaws and has various drive ,Speeds
- Tailstock – supports the other end of the work piece
- Feed Rod and Lead Screw – Feed rod is powered by a set of gears from the headstock
- Distance between centers
- Swing over the bed
- Swing over the cross slide
- Horse power of the motor
- Number of speeds
- Feed Given